Life updates: wardrobe changes, behind the scenes at The Forward, etc.

If you had some notion that you might like to know what the bathroom at The Forward looks like, here it is.

Hey, everyone. It’s been a while. Since I last posted, a few things have happened:

• I stopped wearing tzitzit. Actually, that happened in December, but I don’t think I ever mentioned it here. Sorry.
  • I started dressing kind of like an adult.
  • I don’t grumble under my breath to myself when I put a kippah on before going to services anymore. (Which is not to say that I don’t immediately rip it off when I leave the building. The only reason I put it on before I get there is that I’m afraid I’ll forget and then the USCJ kippah patrol will set the dogs on me.)
  • Back in the fall/summer, when I started working semi-normal hours in an office (like a normal adult), I was doing a lot of pants/untucked-collared-shirts-with-buttons-all-the-way-down/sport-jacket kind of things.
  • But then I realized I lost all this weight (it was on accident, I promise; no one congratulate me — because people always do that, but it’s undeserved because it’s not like I sit on my ass any less than I did before). Having lost weight, I could now tuck my shirt in, which I’ve always hated doing. (Just ask my dad.)
  • So I started doing that for like a week, but it still bugged me so I bought a waistcoat.
  • Yes, I know, normal people call it a vest, but calling it a waistcoat achieves two excellent things: First, you get to say a silly word. Second, you get to use a more arcane word with overtones of eccentric pomposity.
  • I now have three waistcoats and I wear one every day. (Read: I wear one every office day.)
  • It took me some time, but I’ve made my peace with tucking my shirt in.
  • T.M.I. alert… in 3, 2, 1….
  • Here’s the one thing that still bugs me, the little extra bit of complexity this newfound tucked-in-and-put-together-ness has brought my life: Going to the bathroom is way more complex now. (Not the standing version, obviously.)
  • Wearing tzitzit and going to the bathroom was like a cakewalk compared to this craziness.
  • I had plans to relate at least a couple other things in this post, but it’s pretty clear this post has gotten away from me.
  • And that I have no idea what
  • bullet
  • points
  • are
  • really
  • for.
  • If you didn’t read the caption on the photo above, but you did read the headline, and you are now disappointed that this post is coming to an end without any hint of anything “behind the scenes at The Forward,” the photo above is from the bathroom at The Forward. In case you had a smoldering desire to know what the bathroom at The Forward looks like.
  • Or something.
  • OK. Bye now.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Life updates: wardrobe changes, behind the scenes at The Forward, etc.

1. Alex July 9, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

I’d be curious to know why the tzitzit stopped happening, and why the kippah is now in vogue:)  This coming from someone who’s been wearing a kippah for a while, and is starting to think about taking on tzitzit.

• David A.M. Wilensky August 23, 2012 at 11:31 am #

The tzitzit stopped for no real big reason. It just didn’t feel the same anymore, so stopped. The kippah is not ”in vogue,” but worn grudgingly to a nice shul that is close to my house.

• ML August 27, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

I take it you don’t subscribe to the idea that once you take on a mitzvah you’re then under obligation to continue it.

I’m glad to see that you’re posting again.

• David A.M. Wilensky September 5, 2012 at 11:37 am #

I once subscribed to a version of that idea, but there’s a flaw in it: If you accept that idea, then accept the idea that it is a choice to take on a mitzvah. If each mitzvah is a choice, how can you be obligated to do it just because you once chose to take it on? Why can’t you just as easily choose to stop?

• ML September 10, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

Good point.

I think that principle strictly applies to a chumrah, and not a mitzvah.  But out in reality, to most non-Orthodox Jews, choosing to observe a new mitzvah is in all likelyhood what is taking place.

I am curious what about the tzitzit stopped feeling the same?

2. Geoff September 24, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

Funny that you stopped wearing tzitzit AND got a more complicated bathroom routine. Going the whole tucked in route, including an undershirt under the beged and itself tucked in, can get much more complicated than tucking in shirts without wearing tzitzit, naturally…

• David A.M. Wilensky September 27, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

Indeed! Although the tucking followed the end of the tzitzit by several months. I don’t know that they were related.

3. Raffi Darrow October 3, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

Maybe you’d enjoy the kipah more if a friend crocheted a custom one for you.
    If you lost a bunch of weight without meaning to, you should probably have a physical at the doctor’s office.
    Bullet points in web allow the reader to easily skim. Oh well ;)