Jewish Outlook makes an ‘appointment’ with me

I do love that my job is newsworthy in The Jewish Outlook, my hometown Jewish paper.

However, just so we’re clear, JSPS was founded in 1971, not 1970. And it used provide “content for campus Jewish publications around the U.S.” but there are very few of those left and they do not get their content from JSPS. Nowadays, JSPS is really just the organization that publishes New Voices Magazine.

Speaking of New Voices, it’s not “a monthly online student publication.” It’s just an online student publication–nothing monthly about it.

Also, if they’d consulted their AP Stylebook, they would’ve found that publications are italicized, rather than set in quotation marks.

Not that I’m complaining. All publicity is good publicity.

, , , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to Jewish Outlook makes an ‘appointment’ with me

1. Laura August 7, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

It also appears that New Voices has a comma in the title.
    And I like how they included your parents, ha ha ha

• David A.M. Wilensky August 7, 2011 at 3:57 pm #

It also appears that New Voices has a comma in the title.
      No it doesn’t. Commas go inside the quotation marks. You keep that in mind for the next time you blog at New Voices.

And I like how they included your parents, ha ha ha
      They did that in the little italicized bit at the end where they say who the author is when they printed this my last JTA piece, the one about the haggadah.

• Laura August 7, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

It’s in the second mention! Unless that’s a blot on the page or something.

• David A.M. Wilensky August 9, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

I don’t see what you’re talking about.

• Larry Kaufman August 9, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

Laura is right — there is a superfluous comma in the Outlook clip, 7th line. Inside the quotation marks, but unneeded, and in the usage, just plain wrong.

2. Larry Kaufman August 7, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

And where is it written that The Jewish Outlook (sorry, I don’t know how to do italics) has to follow the AP Stylebook?

As it happens, I do put publication names in italics, when it does not require overcoming technological barriers, but not because of the AP. I answer to a higher authority, perhaps the highest authority: Miss Winifred Nelson, my eighth grade grammar teacher, whose influence has been stronger than that of any other teacher during my eighteen years of formal academics. (BTW, I think AP would have told me to say 18 years.)

• David A.M. Wilensky August 7, 2011 at 4:12 pm #

It’s written in the famous tome, “How to Run a Newspaper in America When You’re Not The New York Times.”

I don’t know how to do italics
      You put open carrot, the letter i and close carrot before the text you want to italicize. After the text, open carrot, back slash, the letter i and another close carrot.

I think AP would have told me to say 18 years.
      Indeed, it would have. Ages, dollar amounts and other numbers 10 and over should be written in numerals.

• Larry Kaufman August 7, 2011 at 6:10 pm #

Todah rabah. What do AP and HTRANIAWYNTNYT say about foreign languages. And why is in quotes instead of italics?

• David A.M. Wilensky August 9, 2011 at 1:14 pm #

Todah rabah.
          Bevakashah

What do AP and HTRANIAWYNTNYT say about foreign languages.
          “The Associated Press Style Book” says the following:

foreign words Some foreigh words and abbreviations have been accepted universally in the English language: bon voyage; versus, vs.; et cetera, etc. They may be used without explanation if they are clear in the context.

Many foreign words and their abbreviations are not understood universally, although they may be used in special applications such as medical or legal terminology. If such a word or phrase is needed in a story, place it in quotation marks and provide and explanation: “ad astra per aspera,” a latin phrase meaning “to the stars through difficulty.”

It is interesting that it does not say what to do with individual foreign words, such as those that crop up in writing about religion. The convention, I believe, is usually to put then italics and explain them. But if it’s not covered in the stylebook, it’s probably in most newspaper’s internal style guides.

And why is in quotes instead of italics?
          Because it’s a title of a work, rather than a title of a periodical publication.

• Larry Kaufman August 9, 2011 at 1:44 pm #

The stuff about putting foreign language stuff in quotes with an explanation also in quotes is new to me — and I expect to disregard it, and keep following my personal minhag of italicizing, followed by a Roman parenthetical translation where possibly needed.

I found a style sheet on line (didn’t copy the link, but found it through Ask.com) that would indicate putting How to Run etc. in italics, rather than quotes. Their guideline (consistent with what I remember from school days): Titles of complete works in italics; subsets of complete works in quotes. Thus Collected Stories of O. Henry, but “The Gift of the Magi.”

Since you described How to Run as a tome, it is presumably a complete work. On the other hand, it it’s a chapter in a larger book, the quotes would be correct. Presumably then the next chapter would be “How to Run a Newspaper in Israel if You’re Not Ha-Aretz.

• Larry Kaufman August 9, 2011 at 1:47 pm #

Bad proofing. If it’s a chapter, in the second line, and close quotes at the end. Slichah. (If I do the italics enough times, maybe it’ll force its way into my memory, and then you can teach me how to bold.

• David A.M. Wilensky August 10, 2011 at 10:30 am #

Yeah, but they transliterate their name Haaretz.

3. Larry Kaufman August 7, 2011 at 6:12 pm #

Oops — second HTRANIAWYNTNYT (after And why is) got omitted above.

4. Bruce August 8, 2011 at 12:07 am #

I believe that would be “caret.”

5. Bruce August 9, 2011 at 1:25 pm #

Indeed, but I didn’t want to be too nit-picky. :-)

• Larry Kaufman August 9, 2011 at 1:49 pm #

I didn’t “care at” all how you spelled it — I knew what you meant. Had you chosen carat, on the other hand, that would have been a weighty matter.

• David A.M. Wilensky August 10, 2011 at 10:31 am #

And a collective groan arose from the congregation.