Shabbat Notes, 7/30/2011: Three Kaddish Yatoms!

This is a short one, but I just have to mention this:

This week, we actually had a minyan when we got to the Kaddish Yatom that we usually flip backwards for before the Torah service. So we did it then. Fine.

Then we got to the Torah service… and did it again. Of course, we also had the one at the end of the service.

For a grand total of three Kaddish Yatoms.

Shavua tov.

, , , , , ,

7 Responses to Shabbat Notes, 7/30/2011: Three Kaddish Yatoms!

1. Larry Kaufman July 31, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

The “grand dame’ (be sure to pronounce as dom) of a charitable organization I was once part of invariably welcomed guests at the annual dinner dance with “Welcome, welcome, and thrice welcome.” For some reason, I want to connect this to Kaddish, Kaddish, and thrice Kaddish.

Actually, I am sufficiently bothered at my own congregation when we read something in English that we have already read in Hebrew. (In our case, it’s eilu d’varim sh’eyn lahem shiur.)

• David A.M. Wilensky August 1, 2011 at 8:38 am #

Oh yeah, that stuff drives me nuts. Growing up, it was always Ve’ahavta.

2. Larry Kaufman August 1, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

BTW, someone reminded me the other day of the old Reform Shma minhag — talk about avoiding repetition, but Shma and Baruch shem . was typically recited in Hebrew and English, in addition to being sung in Hebrew. Sequence varied from place to place. Nobody knew from hands over the eyes.

• David A.M. Wilensky August 3, 2011 at 11:35 am #

And everyone stands for it too!

• Rich August 3, 2011 at 10:32 pm #

R. Marcia Zimmerman explained this thus. One does not necessarily stand or sit for the Shema, but one recites it in whatever position one finds oneself when one encounters it. Reform Minhag seems to be to remain standing after the barchu and the sit for the v’ahavta. Conservative minhag has one sitting after the opening of Yotzer Ohr, so one is seated when one encounters the Shema.

• Larry Kaufman August 3, 2011 at 11:33 pm #

I call attention to Rabbi Richard Sarason’s paper on sitting/standing–http://urj.org//worship/mishkan/current//?syspage=article&item_id=3584

The old joke tells of the congregations where two factions were fighting over the issue, and they sought out the only surviving founder to ask him about the original minhag, which at first he couldn’t remember. This kindled a recurrence of the vitriolic quarrel, Of course they stood, of course they sat, and also awakened his memory to the fact that the quarrel was the orginal minhag.

• David A.M. Wilensky August 4, 2011 at 10:09 am #

Indeed. However, this is misunderstood by some Reform Jews (I used to be one of them) who assumed that one stood for the Shma because it is important