Hey, you got your jingoism in my liturgy!

image

And next, we’ll sing the already gratuitous prayer for our country to the tune of “The Star-Spangled Banner….”

11 Responses to Hey, you got your jingoism in my liturgy!

1. Geoff December 27, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

The weekday shacharis tutorial at sidduraudio.org suggests doing this. I can’t recall for certain, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this done in person somewhere before, too.

• David A.M. Wilensky December 27, 2010 at 4:19 pm #

I strongly dislike it. I am uncomfortable with the ideology involved in doing so. More than that, I recognize that some people would outright object or feel compelled to get up and leave upon hearing it. Since we can say and mean whatever we want when say these words to any old nusach, it is preferable to do that rather than sing it to a tune that shoves one message down the throats of the congregation.

• Geoff December 27, 2010 at 7:05 pm #

I had been led to believe that anti-zionism was the realm of the haredim and chassidim, and that there wasn’t really a third way, so I hadn’t thought about it so much. It did seem very odd to me, though, and I do think of nationalism and religion as more like oil and water and less like peanut butter and chocolate.

• David A.M. Wilensky December 28, 2010 at 11:45 am #

It’s not an issue of Zionism or anti-Zionism to me. It’s an issue of not confusing nationalism for religion. Oil and water indeed.

2. ML December 27, 2010 at 10:36 pm #

David, I’ve done Shir Hama’alot to the tune of Hatikvah quite a few times.

I’m under the impression that the melody/nigun was created independently of the text for Hatikvah.

• David A.M. Wilensky December 28, 2010 at 11:51 am #

That’s entirely irrelevant. It’s as relevant as the fact that the words to Hatikvah weren’t created specially to be the national anthem of Israel. It doesn’t matter because that’s what it’s now used and recognized for.

3. Kelly December 28, 2010 at 4:49 pm #

Is this a common practice? They do it here in the Conservative minyan at AHA, and I had never heard it before…

• David A.M. Wilensky December 29, 2010 at 11:02 am #

I have heard it in enough places that I’d call it common.

4. invisible_hand December 30, 2010 at 1:01 pm #

the blog’s title is “a friendly dose of judaism”

5. Rich January 3, 2011 at 12:59 am #

My wife does not open her mouth until “Ki El Poel . . . “; she argues that “Havienu . . .” etc. is a brachah l’vateil given that we are free to leave America, and there is an Israel for us to emigrate to if we wish. I view this particular nusach as an acknowledgment of that, precisely, and enjoy the juxtaposition.

What precisely are you praying for when you recite “Havienu l’shalom me’arba kanfot ha’aretz, v’tolichenu komimut l’artzenu” Is there a particular vision it suggest? Is it just a cue to gather your tzitzit from the Arba Kanfot of your tallit? What is the story that this prayer tells you?

• David A.M. Wilensky January 3, 2011 at 11:19 am #

That’s a good point. I’m gonna have to think on that, Rich.

It’s not a cue to gather my tzitzit, BTW. I usually forget to and then scramble to grab them when I realize we’re a half-breath away from Shma.