How is a portable sukah an innovation?

Crossposted to Jewschool.

So the sukah is a remembrance of wandering in the desert and living in portable structures, right?

Tablet suggested on Tuesday a remarkable invention–a portable sukah. Either this is the biggest “no duh” invention in Jewish history, or it’s truly innovative. Think about it. We build these structures to commemorate a nomadic existence, but then leave them in one place for the duration of sukot.

Tablet has this to say about their dubiously-innovative innovation:

In advance of Sukkot, we reached out to architects and designers and asked for contemporary reimaginings of the sukkah. Charles and Julian Boxenbaum, the father-and-son duo behind BUZstudios … [have] delighted us yet again—this time with their portable SukkahSeat.

I’ll admit. It’s pretty cool. I kind of want one. Full story here.

, , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to How is a portable sukah an innovation?

1. Rich October 4, 2009 at 9:56 pm #

I could fulfill the mitzvah on my lunch break.

• David A.M. Wilensky October 4, 2009 at 10:44 pm #

Which I guess is what’s cool about it.

• Charles Boxenbaum December 23, 2009 at 4:30 pm #

Rich –
      Just saw your post and have to say “you got it”. Zai gezuhnt!

2. David A.M. Wilensky October 5, 2009 at 9:50 am #

At the copy of this post at Jewschool, commenter “dd” points out, “Not only it not an historical innovation, it’s not even a modern innovation
    http://www.popupsukkah.com/products.php has been around for quite a few years.”

Pretty cool that someone is actually producing these things.

3. Gabi October 7, 2009 at 8:17 pm #

these are sooooooo cool!!!! maybe i will actually be able to have a sukkah next year…we’ve never had the time to build one. If only I had seen this before sukkot this year.

• David A.M. Wilensky October 7, 2009 at 11:45 pm #

get to it! you’ve still got a few days to build one!