As the world turns, a spiffier logo for The Reform Shuckle

After having somone think my blog was called The Reform CHUCKLE one too many times, and after a rather inspired new title and banner at Jesse Paikin’s blog, I decided to concoct a new header image for this blog.

wordpress NEW STYLE little logo thing

Brand new look! Same great taste!

It bears similarities to the old one in terms of color and design, but I think it looks way cooler. But you tell me, blogosphites, what do you think of it?

The old look

The old look

12 Responses to As the world turns, a spiffier logo for The Reform Shuckle

1. Jesse September 15, 2009 at 5:24 pm #

Sweet. Sweet-ass-sweet.

My banner is actually only temporary until the yamim noraim are over and I unveil the brand new (and as of yet, so brand new it isn’t even created yet) header.

Oh well. Well done for you, it’s got great style and symbolism!

• David A.M. Wilensky September 15, 2009 at 10:01 pm #

Glad you like it.

I like yours the way it is, so if there are further improvements on their way, I’m pumped. Are you keeping that name?

Also, I made my new one in ms paint. Anyone impressed?

2. Ben Sternman September 15, 2009 at 8:21 pm #

Love the font. Holier than thou? Hmmm. What are the buildings? Certain versus sense. Often these don’t go together.

All in all I like it.

• David A.M. Wilensky September 15, 2009 at 10:01 pm #

The font is Fertigo, a professionally developed, but free font, available online. We use it in The Acorn for our flag. I loves it.

The buildings are the Texas capitol building and the Dome of the Rock. Both represent a variety of things. The capitol stands in for TX, the US, Austin, diaspora Jewry, the South and so forth. The dome represents conflict writ both large and small. It represents Israel and all of Israel’s internal conflict as well as all of my internal conflicts about Israel, Judaism, and a whole host of other things.

And the menorah came from a desire to have a Jewish symbol that jumps straight out at you. I just don’t like the Star of Me that much because it’s a rather late invention and doesn’t actually represent anything real.

Holier-than-thou, as you can see, is just one a number of terms repeated in the backdrop. Some are meant straightforwardly, while others are in a self-mocking tone. Holier-than-thou being one of the latter. You’ll also notice angrier-than-thou.

• lyrl September 20, 2009 at 8:39 am #

Have you thought about providing a link to this post in your sidebar somewhere? I liked the logo when I first saw it, but I think it’s a whole lot cooler after reading the explanation of the buildings. Other readers might have the same experience.

3. Harold September 16, 2009 at 12:28 pm #

How about cooler-than-thou? Yeah, I like this logo a lot better.

4. Leslie September 16, 2009 at 3:10 pm #

I’m a fan, and incredibly impressed it came from Paint. Are you using Trajan for the “peace | sense | liturgy” tag line?

5. Toddimus September 16, 2009 at 11:02 pm #

you made the header in ms paint? MS PAINT? wOOOOOAHHH!!! I would have thought photoshop. thats mad paint skills, my friend.
    and while the old header is very creative and very you, this new one has that and looks very professional too.

6. David A.M. Wilensky September 20, 2009 at 10:56 am #

Interesting idea, lyrl. I’ll think about it.