Condi’s Astonishing Effect on Hebrew Vocabulary

I have learned the following tidbit from NPR and Chicago Public Radio’s “Wait, Wait… Don’t Tell Me!”

Apparently, Condaleeza Rice has become such a frequent visitor to Israel in recent years, that Israeli government officials have adopted a new slang term, l’kandel. I’m not sure how the conjugate this. The radio show only noted how to pronounce the infinitive. This word is apparently derived from Condi’s name is used to refer to the act of shuffling about between various meetings, saying many things, getting nothing done.

Aside from the surface humor of this, I’m also amused by the fact that no word for this already existed in the Israeli political lexicon. I’m amazed frankly.

6 Responses to Condi’s Astonishing Effect on Hebrew Vocabulary

1. Harold November 19, 2007 at 2:45 pm #

Not knowing how to conjugate this verb, let me just say that during this short week before Thanksgiving, with many people either physically or mentally on vacation, a lot of people are l’kandel-ing.

2. Lauren November 19, 2007 at 8:13 pm #

Oooh! Oooh! let me try — we’ve been doing this in Biblical Hebrew. (Of course, one of the participants in Wait, Wait… threatened violence if anyone mentioned conjugation again…)

Kandalti Kandalnu
    Kandalta Kandl’tem
    Kandalt Kandl’ten
    Kandal Kand’lu
    Kandlah Kand’lu

And since we’ve only done pa’al so far, I won’t be trying any of the other 127 forms I used to know by heart. It’s amazing how much grammar one can forget in 25 years.
    L

I suspect that Harold’s “l’kandel-ing” might be “M’Kandlu.”

3. BDS November 20, 2007 at 11:21 am #

From your transliteration, it looks like a pi-eil verb.

4. BZ November 20, 2007 at 2:44 pm #

Yes, foreign words that become Hebrew verbs are generally pi’el (with some exceptions, such as “l’haklik” – “to click”). So it would be kindalti, kindalta, etc.

5. b-fizz November 20, 2007 at 3:19 pm #

i’ve been kandeling for the past 4 months.

hoohah bsing skills.